Quality of Water - Quality of Life
The SLPA works to protect the quality of water in the Big Spirit Lake watershed and to maintain and enhance the quality of life for the people who use it.
Docks & Access Points
Public docks create access for all users on Big Spirit Lake. The SLPA works to create, maintain and enhance docks and other access points for boaters as well as winter visitors.
As the crown jewel of the Work Projects Administration buildings on Big Spirit Lake, the SLPA was instrumental in saving and remodeling the lodge at Mini-Wakan State Park.
As a part of the “Quality of Water” goal, the SLPA participates in efforts to assess water quality and reduce excess nutrients and runoff into Big Spirit Lake.
The July 3rd fireworks display over Big Spirit Lake is the largest yearly expenditure for the SLPA and results in ongoing fundraising efforts.
Along the shoreline in Anglers Bay grows the largest, best quality stand of bulrushes to thrive in the Iowa Great Lakes.
In addition to the major projects, The SLPA participates in several smaller projects that contribute to quality of water and quality of life.
- July 3, Pancake Breakfast - Mini-Wakan State Park
July 3, 10:00 PM Fireworks on Big Spirit Lake
August 13 - SLPA Annual Meeting - Mini-Wakan State Park
2022 Board Meeting Dates
- All meetings begin at 8:00 am on the second Saturday of the month, April to October, at the Orleans City Hall.
- April 9 - ZOOM
- May 14 - Orleans City Hall
- June 11 - Orleans City Hall
- July 16 - Orleans City Hall - note NEW DATE
- August 13 - Orleans City Hall
- September 10 - Orleans City Hall
- October 8 - Orleans City Hall